CONNECTORS WITH A HEART
Camp Good Days and SpecialTimes, in Branchport, NY, gives children and adults with cancer a
residential camping experience to help them forget about being a
patient. It’s your typical summer camp - swimming, canoeing,
archery, arts & crafts, and woodworking – except for the campers,
who all have some connection with cancer. Services are free for
campers through the generosity of local volunteers and businesses.
The camp’s woodworking shop is run by adult volunteers who
provide all the materials, cut wood pieces and put them together
into kits so the children can make birdhouses, stools, bug boxes,
keepsake boxes and more. The campers sand, stain or paint, then
assemble the kits into finished pieces.
Jerry Romanowski, retiree & woodworking hobbyist, had concerns:
1. Some children had difficulty using screwdrivers to assemble projects.
2. Since the shop is not open all day, the campers have less time to
work on projects- some children had to be turned away in the past.
3. Some campers had difficulty fitting bigger projects into suitcases to
fly home. He needed connectors that would be safe, fast, and easy- so
he shared his challenges with Colonial Saw, Lamello’s U.S. distributor.
Chris Hofmann, Lamello’s U.S. product manager, suggested the
Clamex P-14 connectors and the Lamello Zeta P2, a tool to cut the
full range of slots for the P-System connector series. The Clamex P-14
has a connecting lever that draws pieces together with detachable
connection points. The P-system enables the projects to be
disassembled and packed flat in camper’s suitcases, then easily reassembled
back at home. Lamello is supplying the camp with all the
connectors and accessories they need.
“With the Clamex, all the kids need is an Allen wrench and all they
have to do is turn the key. It’s a lot easier and faster than screws and
they can’t hurt themselves. I show them once what to do and they get
it,” Jerry said. The wood shop is now stocked with kits and parts
ready for the campers to assemble bird houses, stools, bug boxes,
storage boxes and more. Campers are learning new skills, building
confidence and gaining the satisfaction of a project well made.
• Connectors insert easily without tools.
• Joints assemble with just an Allen wrench in minutes.
• Easily disassembles for economical flat-pack shipping.
• Strong joints with no clamps, glue or secondary processes.
• Works with all angles and joining situations.
• Nearly invisible tool opening for connection points.
Click here to download this case study!